Best Solution to WMV Files Not Playing on Kodi
"I am running Kodi 16 on Windows 7 on 2 devices, and on both, I cannot get .wmv or .avi files to playback. When I select them, nothing happens."
"Hi, while playing WMV files, I only get the correct sound and some wild matrix looking green screen :/"
Searching online we can find many issues on playing WMV on Kodi as listed above. Now in this article, we'd like to do some in-depth troubleshooting with you to see if we can get to the bottom of this.
Although WMV is included in Kodi supported formats list, however, it is well know that WMV is a container format which can be encoded with WMV1(Windows Media Player 7), WMV (Windows Media Player 8) and WMV 3(Windows Media Player 9) 3 different codecs, which may can't be recognized by Kodi.
An quick workaround to get WMV files played on Kodi:
Based on our multiple testing, to play WMV files on Kodi without hassle, our suggestion is to transcode WMV to Kodi more friendly MP4 format in H.264.
Brorsoft Video Converter, it's a professional software helping you to transcode WMV to any common video formats like MP4, AVI, MKV, MPG... And it has preset the optimized settings for the different output format and players. Users can feel free to specify the target files. With it, you can fast convert WMV to MP4 that can be easily played on Kodi. If you are Mac users, please turn to the equivalent Mac version Brorsoft Video Converter for Mac to encode WMV files to Kodi on Mac OS X (High Sierra, Sierra, El Capitan included). Just download it and start the conversion following the tutorial below.
Play HEVC on Kodi
Converting WMV to MP4 for Kodi
Step 1. Launch the WMV file converter, drag and drop the .mkv files to the software window to import.
Step 2. Click Format > Common Video and set output video format as mp4. The reason mp4 is the target format is that by packing the videos in mp4, the file size will be reasonable small and the video quality remains good.
Tip: There are also some optional tinkering you can take to make the videos look better, such as changing the aspect ratio or specifying the video resolution. Just click the Settings icon to do it.
Step 3. Finally, hit the Convert button to star converting WMV to Kodi supported format. After the conversion, just install and setup Kodi on your computer for adding converted files to Kodi for playback.
Kodi Supported formats
- Physical digital media: Blu-ray Disc (unencrypted), CDs, DVDs, DVD-Video, Video CDs (including VCD/SVCD/XVCD), Audio-CD (CDDA), USB Flash Drives, and local Hard Disk Drives
- Network protocol clients: AirPlay/AirTunes, UPnP, SMB/SAMBA/CIFS, AFP, Zeroconf/Avahi/Bonjour, NFS, HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, RTSP (RTSPU, RTSPT), MMS (MMSU, MMST), Podcasting, TCP, UDP, SFTP, RTP and RTMP (including RTMP, RTMPT, RTMPE, RTMPTE, RTMPS), DHCP, NTP, WebDAV
Network protocol servers: JSON-RPC server, D-Bus server, Web server, FTP Server, and UPnP AV media server, and a multi-protocol Event Server
- Container formats: AVI, MPEG, WMV, ASF, FLV, MKV/MKA (Matroska), QuickTime, MP4, M4A, AAC, NUT, Ogg, OGM, RealMedia RAM/RM/RV/RA/RMVB, 3gp, VIVO, PVA, NUV, NSV, NSA, FLI, FLC, DVR-MS and WTV
- Video formats: MPEG-1, MPEG-2, H.263, MPEG-4 SP and ASP, MPEG-4 AVC (H.264), H.265 (as from Kodi 14) HuffYUV, Indeo, MJPEG, RealVideo, RMVB, Sorenson, WMV, Cinepak.
- Audio formats: MIDI, AIFF, WAV/WAVE, AIFF, MP2, MP3, AAC, AACplus (AAC+), Vorbis, AC3, DTS, ALAC, AMR, FLAC, Monkey's Audio (APE), RealAudio, SHN, WavPack, MPC/Musepack/Mpeg+, Shorten, Speex, WMA, IT, S3M, MOD (Amiga Module), XM, NSF (NES Sound Format), SPC (SNES), GYM (Genesis), SID (Commodore 64), Adlib, YM (Atari ST), ADPCM (Nintendo GameCube), and CDDA.
- Digital picture/image formats: BMP, JPEG, GIF, PNG, TIFF, MNG, ICO, PCX and Targa/TGA
- Subtitle formats: AQTitle, ASS/SSA, CC, JACOsub, MicroDVD, MPsub, OGM, PJS, RT, SMI, SRT, SUB, VOBsub, VPlayer
- Metadata tags: APEv1, APEv2, ID3 (ID3v1 and ID3v2), ID666 and Vorbis comments for audio file formats, Exif and IPTC (including GeoTagging) for image file formats