Solutions to Importing MP4 in VirtualDub for Editing
"Hi, How to open .MP4 files in virtualdub? It says file is not supported or something.. i hope there's a plugin or software that allows me to open .mp4 files.
The reason i want to open it in virtualdub is so that i can run a sharpen filter for the mp4 video. this is so that i can watch on my PSP."
VirtualDub is a popular free and open-source video capture & processing program. However, VirtualDub was designed to work with AVI files exclusively, standalone VirtualDub does not support MP4 and more which means you are not allowed to edit or open MP4 in VirtualDub directly. If you wanna edit MP4 files in Virtualdub like the above user, you may need do some preparation. Here we will share two simple solutions with you.
Solution 1. Install VirtualDub FFmpeg Input Plugin
1. Download VirtualDub FFmpeg Input Plugin to help you open mp4 in virtualdub.
2. Unzip the .zip file and drag the plugins64 or plugins32 folder to the VirtualDub installation directory (based on whether you installed the 32-bit or 64-bit version of VirtualDub) to replace the original folder with the same name.
3. Launch VirtualDub and you will find that you can add MP4 videos without hassle.
Solution 2. Convert MP4 to AVI for VirtualDub
Although VirtualDub is not equipped with native support for MP4 files, you can import the media into the application after converting it into a compatible format like AVI. Brorsoft Video Converter can do you a favor.
This video app is professional on fast transcoding MP4 to Virtualdub with AVI format (the most compatible video format for VirtualDub) without quality loss. In addition, it not only supports MP4 videos, but also handles various common video formats, like MXF, MTS, MOV, MKV, WMV .etc. For Mac users, Brorsoft Video Converter Mac is also a helpful app to encode videos for further usage.
How to convert MP4 to AVI for VirtualDub
Step 1: Install and launch Brorsoft Video Converter. And then click "Add Video" button to load your MP4 videos into it. Batch conversion is supported so you can import multiple video files at a time.
Step 2: From the drop-down list of "Profile" you can select "AVI" from "Common Video" category as the output format.
1. Click the "Settings" button to adjust the parameters of Video Settings and Audio Settings before conversion. You can also change the destination folder before converting MP4 to VirtualDub.
2. By clicking "Edit" button, you can trim, crop the video, or add watermark, adjust effect, attaching subtitles for pre-editing your video files so that you can simplify your editing.
Step 3: Click the "Convert" button to start converting MP4 to VirtualDub friendly video formats immediately.
After the conversion, click "Open" to find the converted video files. Launch VirtualDub. Go to the “File” tab on the program menu and select “Open Video File…” Browse for and select the AVI output video in the file selection window. Click “OK” to load the media in VirtualDub to start editing.